Incidental Acts of Spontaneous Cerebral Violence

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

It's certainly not the recreational stuff that's going to do me in

The patient on tonight's "House" rerun came thisclose to partying with Drs. Thompson & Bethe from an accidental overdose of colchicine, a drug that is among the prescribed arsenal against my sole medical condition. Here's what it says verbatim on my script:
TAKE 2 TABLETS BY MOUTH AT FIRST SIGN OF ATTACK, THEN 1 TABLET THEREAFTER UNTIL RELIEF OR ONSET OF DIARRHEA
This is straight off WedMD:
Side Effects

80% of people who take colchicine in doses that are high enough to be effective develop stomach problems, such as cramping, nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting.

Common, mild side effects include:

Nausea.
Vomiting.
Diarrhea.
Serious side effects of colchicine include bone marrow problems and muscle inflammation. Colchicine is usually avoided or the dose adjusted in people who have reduced kidney function.
Thankfully I only have to take it to combat flare-ups (one every two or so years) and not prophylactically. That said, nothing I have ever ingested or inhaled (and I mean NOTHING) has ever made me feel as shitty (pun absolutely intended) as those tiny white pills. And to think I wasn't even aware that it could kill me too.

See, I always knew that Fox was educational...



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?