Incidental Acts of Spontaneous Cerebral Violence

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

If it was 1972, I'd actually be cutting-edge

Once upon a time, I subscribed to Interview. No offense Ingrid Sischy, but that may have been the biggest waste of $8.00 since the time I paid full-price to see "Jury Duty". Yes, the spirit of Andy Warhol has undeniably left the building.

However, put Natalie Portman on the cover, throw in a few great Max Vadukul photographs, include a reasonably interesting interview conducted by her "Garden State" co-star, Peter Sarsgaard, and I'll gladly throw down my $2.99+tax. Here's an excerpt:
PS: So let me ask you this: Where do you see movies fitting into the world that is as troubled as ours seems to be?

NP: I think there’s always a need for entertainment and for things that can take you away from reality. I also think we all have a capacity for deep emotion, deep suffering, deep pain. Obviously living these things because someone in your family has AIDS or you’re starving, or your kid’s sick or you’re heartbroken is different from experiencing them through a film; but I think we need to experience certain things, and movies can help with that. One of the things Garden State deals with is our society’s addiction to painkillers and antianxiety drugs and antidepressants. A lot of people in the Western world are experiencing depression and anxiety and all that stuff; but then you go to places where there’s unimaginable suffering and strife, and you can’t even fathom someone being like, “Oh, my God, I’m really anxious.” When you’re fighting for your survival, there’s no time for that, or maybe you just can’t attend to it.

PS: But I do think there’s a kind of collective unconscious. Living in the world and being human, you can bury your head in the sand, you can take a Xanax, you can do whatever you want, but that little feeling you’re having might actually be a connection to the rest of humanity.

NP: It might. Or it might be some sort of replacement for the evolutionary need to experience the struggle for survival.
By the way, will someone let Grambo know that I also purchased the Doonesbury Rolling Stone?



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?